Monday, November 20, 2023

Tasty

Now that I’m settled in the United States and have eaten a few meals, I’m remembering little things about American food. Almost everything edible here is manufactured. Delicious, but manufactured. Trying to find a vegetable that isn’t drenched in cream, or sugar, or cheese, or pastry is not just impossible, but probably a sign of communism. I almost wept in gratitude when someone gave me an actual, unsullied strawberry.


One can see why the trope of vanishing into the toilet for an hour is such a thing here. Most dishes have less fibre than a tin of condensed milk, and are far more likely to actually contain condensed milk. Sweetened, of course.


The exciting news is that booze is one of the few things that’s noticeably cheaper in the United States. I have invested heavily in mezcal futures, which is kind of the opposite of my liver’s future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home