Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Criminal

I didn't realise that watching the final ever episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 would be so bittersweet. I've now watched it twice, and both times I felt a little pang, knowing that this is where it all ended.


The movie was 'Danger: Diabolik', a 1968 French-Italian co-production about a master thief who kills people more or less at random, has an undergound hideout that makes the Batcave look like a studio apartment, and makes out a lot with a babe called Eva. He is lauded by the police inspector as a criminal mastermind, but really, as Crow noted, "He basically gets by on incredible luck and coincidence."


If I had scriptwriters like that, I could have numerous E-type Jaguars, a cool hideout and a blonde bikini babe too. Instead I have a Golf and a scooter, a 1980s tract house, and The Flatmate, who despite his unsurpassed willingness to do all the washing up doesn't quite equal Marisa Mell when it comes to wearing a strategically slashed grocery bag.


marisamell4


It ended on a high, I'm pleased to say. And is it just my imagination, or were the jokes a little more risque than normal? Not having to fear the retribution of the network probably allowed them a little more leeway.


Favourite gag:


Servo: She's just a good samaritan he met in the tunnel.

(Cut to scene of Marisa Mell rolling naked in a pile of cash.)

Crow: Whoa! She's a great samaritan!


Plus I have the 'To Earth!' song stuck in my head. "To Earth! The very birthplace of my birth!'


Not that it's the end for this little black duck. I've seen maybe 25 episodes, out of a total of 198. AB is busily downloading 'The Blood Waters Of Dr Z' and 'Kitten With A Whip' from the Digital Archive Project, among others. I can watch a new episode each week for the next three years and still have some left over! Hurrah!

1 Comments:

Blogger Blandwagon said...

Because there's an assumption that nobody outside the US would understand jokes made by Minnesotans. How wrong they were. Well, most of the time.

If you want to get into MST3K, start where I did: "Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie". Rentable from any good DVD store or mail order service. Soon you too will be spending vast sums buying the boxed sets on eBay and demanding that friends with broadband download episodes for you. Just like me!

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home