Thursday, September 01, 2005

Spring

Today is the first day of Spring, and appropriately enough it is gorgeous. This morning I was scootering down the long, straight avenues of flowering coral trees and palms that line Riverside Drive, with the sparkling blue waters of the Swan River on my left and the wide green lawns of Langley Park on my right. At a set of traffic lights I glanced over at a riverfront cafe, which looked like it was almost glowing in the morning light. Fresh-looking people were relaxing in the window seats, sipping their lattes and reading the newspapers.


"What sort of moron goes to work on a lovely day like this?" I asked myself. "This is a day filled with beauty and promise. This is Ferris Bueller weather. I should be phoning Cameron and Sloane and going out in a vintage Ferrari for hi-jinks! Why am I going to work today of all days?"


And then I answered myself. "You are going to work because you are a lazy bastard who leaves everything till the last minute, and those student papers need to be in the mail by lunchtime or people will yell at you. You could have done them earlier in the week, but no, you had to waste time reading blogs and googling random crap. Welcome to the bed you have made; please, lie down, make yourself at home."


My inner monologue gets very smug when he's right. What a creep.

1 Comments:

Blogger MC Etcher said...

I've actually had my inner dialogue call me a dumbass.

And I said, in a pious tone, "Don't call me a dumbass."

And then I was afraid.

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home