Saturday, July 22, 2023

Sloth

My relaxation continues apace. I can now go entire days without doing much more than eat, drink, read and nap. It’s a fine art, really.


Today was exactly such a day. Not wanting Sisterfields to take me for granted, I wandered out and chose a cafe at random for breakfast. I was in the mood for a pastry, like a cinnamon scroll or a croissant, although I’d settle for a muffin. The closest thing they had to any of that was individual apple crumble pies, so that’s what I reluctantly had. Not that there’s anything wrong with apple crumble, but first thing in the morning it’s like being punched in the face by sugar. At least the coffee was good, although they were using long-life milk, and we all know my feelings about that substance.


Back at my resort hotel, I just sort of noodled about until it was time for lunch, which was at Kilo, another restaurant not on my list, but which had delicious lamb tacos and a G&T.



The afternoon was whiled away reading by the pool, doing some writing and photo-editing for the blog, and taking a nap.


In the evening I went to the Shady Unicorn, another secret bar located down an alley and up a staircase behind a door that has to be unlocked by the bouncer. At least this one has a small neon flamingo on the street to give you a hint that you’re in the right place. If you imagine fancy glassware, red flocked wallpaper, velvet drapes and Art Deco barstools, you’ll be pretty close to the mark. After a drink there, it seemed only appropriate to drop back into 40 Thieves, just to see if they’re busier at 11pm on a Saturday than 9pm on a Tuesday. They were packed, but the same garrulous manager as before recognised me and raised a toast over manhattans.


My liver may disagree, but this is the life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home