Friday, July 21, 2023

Better

Clearly I’ve been going to Sisterfields too often; the staff greeted me with “Welcome back, sir!” when I arrived this morning for a light breakfast. As long as they’re willing to tolerate me taking up valuable real estate for a couple of hours while I update my blog and read the news, I don’t mind being recognised. At least they didn’t roll their eyes and mutter to each other in Bahasa when they saw me, which would have been a less encouraging sign.


I had a light breakfast because I’ve discovered the secret to accessible fine dining in Seminyak: lunch, rather than dinner. That’s how I got into Mamasan yesterday, and how I got into Merah Putih today. You have zero chance getting a dinner seat without serious advance booking, but they let just anyone saunter in for lunch. Instead of eating in the bar area, as I did last time, today I was smack in the middle of the main floor under the largest palm tree sharing the space with only half a dozen other parties.



It’s a shame to miss the magical feeling of the pillars and ceiling lit up from within, but it’s really all about the food and drink, after all.




After Tuesday’s disappointing interaction with Above’s soft-shelled crab, Merah Putih more than rehabilitated the poor crustacean’s reputation. It was so good that, Ozempic be damned, I subsequently order some steamed bao, because I’ve been craving some for days and haven’t seen it on any other menus. They did not disappoint.



To finish, the bourbon, vermouth, peach, lime and honey Earl Grey dessert cocktail. It wasn’t actually listed as a dessert cocktail, but it was the perfect level of sophisticated sweetness for the purpose.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home