Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Better

A couple of posts ago I mentioned that I'd spruced up a dowdy piece of furniture. It was pretty simple. I've had this old chest of drawers for years, and for 90% of those years I've been meaning to replace the chipped beige piece of melamine that forms its top. Here's what it looked like:





Eventually I came up with the idea of covering it with a piece of heavy paper, kept in place with double-sided tape or something similar. I went down to Jackson's Art Supplies and found a remarkable sheet of art paper embroidered with gold, silver and bronze thread, and used it to upholster the melamine. By tucking it over the sides I found I could fix it in place with thumbtacks driven into the underside of the wood. So here's what it looks like now:





Not bad for $12 worth of paper, a bunch of old thumbtacks and a couple of badly bruised thumbs.


I recommend that you drop into your local art supply shop and have a look at their specialty paper. It's beautiful, and cheap for something so luxurious.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home