Thursday, January 29, 2009

Dense

Okay, I've said it before, but this time it's serious. I'm on a diet. And this time it's going to work.


No, really. Cut out that derisive laughing! It only happens once every few years, but on these rare occasions I get an alignment of willpower, motivation and self-disgust that urges me to lose weight properly. It becomes more than just a vague plan. It's a project, and eventually an obsession. I have charts and everything!


It's challenging and just a bit weird. For a start, most of the time I can't actually tell if I'm hungry or not. I want food, but I can't tell if it's because I'm desperate for sustenance or because I crave taste and flavour. I also find that it's easy to push the idea of food to the back of my mind , even if it's right there in front of me. But if I get a good smell of it my brain goes bonkers. I huffed at an open bottle of Bombay Sapphire on Monday night, and the urge for a gin & tonic hit me like a brick to the head.


In an even more extreme instance, we had a going away party for one of the staff at work, and it was my job to cut up the big strawberry chocolate cream cake. No problemo. I've resisted cake before. But when I cut it and got a faceful of wafting strawberry liqueur and cream cheese icing and rich buttery sponge, I actually became ill. My poor body was screaming at me, Look! Carbohydrates! You're desperately low on carbohydrates! They're right there in front of you! WHY ARE YOU NOT CONSUMING THEM??? I felt hot and clammy and had to exuse myself from the party early, and didn't fell properly well again for hours.


Still, it's been just over three weeks and I've lost 4.6kg. So hooray for me! Oddly enough my pants still feel very tight and my belly doesn't seem to have diminished. My face looks thinner, though - obviously I'm losing a lot of fat from my head.


Sigh. Only 13kg or so to go.

1 Comments:

Blogger an9ie said...

Hey, I've just come off a diet too! The I-caught-a-bacterial-infection -and-the-first-incompetent-doctor-I-saw-didn't-prescribe-any-antibiotics diet. It was great, not only did I have no appetite for food, but I also had no strength to prepare it! Woo!

Just reading about that cake makes me want to go out and buy one.

Best of luck to you, I hope to see a whole new svelte Blanders next time we meet up!

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home