Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Taste

Last week I made a lasagne for the first time in living memory. I used a recipe I got from a magazine, and while it was reasonably tasty, I suspected that I could do better. So last night I used the remaining lasagne sheets and most of the contents of my refrigerator to make my own, somewhat more daring vegetarian lasagne.


Behold the wonder that is the Blandwagon Vegetarian Lasagne Deluxe!


In a bowl mix 500g of ricotta, an egg, 12 basil leaves (shredded), 2 tablespoons of grated parmesan and a pinch of grated nutmeg. Then assemble the lasagne as follows:


layer 1 - sliced red onions and sliced mushrooms with a drizzle of olive oil

lasagne sheets

ricotta mix

grated or sliced mozzarella

layer 2 - thinly sliced butternut pumpkin, fresh baby spinach leaves, pine nuts and thinly sliced sundried tomatoes

lasagne sheets

ricotta mix

layer 3 - ripe sliced banana with a smear of chili jam or sauce

mozzarella

grated parmesan


Cook at 170 degrees centigrade for 45 minutes.


So many flavours! So many textures! So much deliciousness!


Reject those small-minded types who baulk at the omission of meat, and mock those who express fear at the banana layer (the best bit, once it caramelises and oozes into the cheese)! Try it for yourself and revel in its rich, hot, sweet, spicy, creamy, nutty goodness.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mock away.

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How the hell did you conceive of the banana layer?? I am admiring of trying something new but that just seems very wierd to me... still your description sounds delicious. But why did bananas occur to you?

9:56 PM  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

Nearly 20 years ago a friend of mine served me lasagne with bananas, and I was so blown away by the taste sensation that I never forgot that dish.

Just remember to use ripe bananas. The one I used was underripe and thus not as flavoursome as it should have been.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Cookster said...

Sweet jesus... nothing bland about that creation old son! I've got to knock up rissoles this afternoon and you've just inspired me to go all gourmet... hell, I might even throw in some banana.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Madame2Bar said...

Bananas are great in curries as well. I must try it next time instead of a tablespoon of sugar!

Very impressed with the contents of your fridge. Mine would not be able to produce such variety on demand!

1:49 PM  
Blogger 2BarRiff said...

Bananas? Are you all mad?

I can barely handle carrots in spaghetti.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

Don't knock it until you've tried it, 2barriff.

Also carrots in spaghetti is an abomination.

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nearly 20 years ago a friend of mine served me lasagne with bananas

Good grief. The 1980s was even weirder than I imagined, Blandwagon.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Eric B. said...

Cook at 170 degrees centigrade for 45 minutes.

They must have special "centigrade" ovens in AU? Sounds fancy.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

Phaedrus, don't ask me why we use centigrade for our ovens and celsius for our weather. People still using imperial measurements shouldn't throw stones.

Hee hee! I made teh funny.

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home