Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Fractures

I am totally over my broken arm. Not in the sense that it's cured, but in the sense that I've had enough of it.


Part of the problem is that, as it heals, it becomes more and more possible to do things with it, which in turn means that it's more and more possible to forget that there's anything wrong with it. Over the last few days I've gone to pick up a heavy bag or reached back to push myself out of bed, only to realise what I'm doing at the last possible second, causing the internal equivalent of red flashing lights and a klaxon shrieking "ABORT! ABORT! ABORT!" The break is only 30% - 50% healed, and the right amount of strain could snap it again. A rebreak is not an option. A rebreak would mean casts and/or surgery, not to mention erasing all my frustrating care over the last three weeks.


At least my ribs have mostly healed. For the first time in three weeks I can lie on my left side again. My sleep still tends to be broken, but not as much as it was. I can yawn and stretch again without pain lancing up my side.


But I can't do any woodwork, or paint, or cook, or play computer games, or tinker with any little art projects, or do anything else that involves complex coordination or strength. Life is just a dull progression of lowest common denominator activities: work, TV, eating and sleep.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Blanders, I've a surprise for your birthday that's so apropos of your taste for the risible that you could eat it - but I'd advise against it. You will enjoy it though... :) Mwahahahaha.

It's one of those gifts that is so perfect I Had To Get It; with capitals and all!

3:28 PM  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

I wholeheartedly support and endorse the acquisition of perfect gifts, especially when the acquisitor is me.

4:13 PM  
Blogger 2BarRiff said...

I can sympathise with you B, having an arm that wants to do things and can't is no fun at all.

Thankfully, I should be out of my sling on Thursday. My empathy will probably end then, too :-)

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, stumbled across this blog whilst surfing. Now i've got a broken arm as well. Why people can't tidy up after themselves is beyond me.

(hope the arm gets better though)

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home