Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Good

I went to the Orthopaedic Clinic today to get a formal assessment of my arm, and the consultation turned out about as well as I could have hoped. The doctor was more concerned about the exercise of my joints than the break itself, which he seemed to think would get along just fine as long as I didn’t use that arm to lift anything heavy or push my own weight (eg leaning on a desk to stand up). Apparently I can do small tasks with both hands, such as carrying light objects, typing, writing and so on. I also have a couple of exercises to do, refered to as Turn the Key (rotating the hand at the wrist) and Drink the Beer (bending the arm at the elbow). It’s good to have a doctor who understands the male mind.


I still can’t drive, and I do have to wear a sling, but at least I don’t have to get a plaster cast and suffer all the rigmarole that goes with one.


The other good news is that I think I’ve turned the corner as regards the pain in my ribs. Maybe I’m just getting used to it, but today the pain seemed slightly less when doing things like yawning or laughing. It still hurts, but just not as much. As I said to a friend today, “I’m okay as long as you don’t bore me or tell any jokes.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home