Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Hopeless (redux)

My computer is back on my desk, whirring delicately like a fragile patient just woken from a coma.


Our IT manager applied his professional-level tools to the computer's little virus problem, blasting the malware out with the electronic equivalent of a high-pressure hose. As might be expected, there was a certain amount of collateral damage - the operating system had been so undermined that, once the viruses had gone, it crumbled like a termite-infested wall. So he did a system recovery, downloaded half a gigabyte of Windows updates, reconfigured the virus scanners and gave it back to me.


It's still not quite itself. I had to reinstall the modem to get my internet access up again, and I still don't have iTunes; the HDD devoted to that program was so riddled with bad sectors that it had to be ditched. Now I just have to work out how to get the files from my iPod onto iTunes without accidentally deleting all 3709 of them. But at least the computer is back, and anonymous Russians no longer receive regular updates about my passwords.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes comRRRade, we weRRRe most suRRRprised to leaRRRn about youRRR love for old fat blokes dRRRessed in pink tutus

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home