Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Moved

On Thursday I collected my new painting from the art auctioneers. I had to borrow a friend's Subaru Forester to do it, and even with all the seats folded down, and the driver's seat pushed so far farward that I was pinned to the steering wheel, it only just fit.


The receptionist was one of those bubbly older women who express amazement and delight at every single thing that ever happens. As she was generating my receipt, she gasped in astonishment at the price I'd paid.


Her: You got this piece for how much?

Me: Well, the other bids were pretty half-hearted. I was only person who really seemed to like it.

Her: This is an absolute steal! Do you know his work?

Me: No. From what the auctioneer said I understand he's just begining to come into his own.

Her: Absolutely! You should see how much they're charging for his work in galleries!

Me: (having heard this line a few times before) Okay.

Her: No, I mean it! Google him and you'll see!


So I drove home with my chin resting on the top of the steering wheel, got the painting out of the car, and managed to get it into the house without damaging either it or my other belongings. Then I took down the picture that was in the place where I wanted it to go, put in a new, heavy-duty hanger, and hefted it up onto the wall. Then it was just a matter of moving the paintings on either side to balance it... and moving the nearby furniture out of the way, and moving distant furniture to accomodate the relocated nearby furniture, shuffling dislocated paintings throughout the house, taking all the CDs out of the bookcase so I could shift it two inches to the right...


Eventually it all came together, and I found myself in a position I haven't been in for a while; lying on the couch, just looking at it and enjoying the play of colour and texture. It's striking yet very calm. I felt whatever you'd call the opposite of buyer's remorse.


Lindsay Pow (fuzzy)


Later that evening I was checking my email, and on a whim I decided to google the artist and see what the galleries are indeed charging. I typed in the name, clicked on the first link that came up, and...


SWEET MERCIFUL CRAP!


Apparently if I'd spent ten times more money, I could have gone to an art gallery and purchased a painting half the size of the one in my living room.

3 Comments:

Blogger MC Etcher said...

Wow, congrats! Just think how much it will be worth once the artist dies.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

Yes. Yes, I have been considering that...

(pauses to polish sniper rifle)

12:12 PM  
Blogger Eric B. said...

I don't think Oswald had such a sweet pad though.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home