Friday, December 08, 2023

Fakery

The day began at the Belgium Waffle Haus, a cafe about as authentically Belgian as a wallaby, but serving waffles loaded with fruit and toasted pecans. And acceptable coffee, which is almost alarming at this point.




After breakfast, my Angelino friend and I went for a couple of rounds of minigolf. It turns out that I’m better at minigolf than I am at go-carting, and I actually won by a couple of strokes. Fear my mad skillz, giant novelty toadstools and little Dutch windmills!


Following my minigolf triumph, I thought it only fair to give The Nerd a chance to further experience the thrill of proximity to TV fame. So I bought him a scale model of Central Perk from 'Friends'. I realise that 'Friends' was set in New York, but it was in fact entirely shot in the LA suburb of Burbank, so it counts.



Then it was on to 'The Golden Girls'... which was set in Miami but, again, filmed in LA. The exterior shots of their home were actually from a house just up the road from me in Brentwood. THIS COUNTRY IS FULL OF LIES!



In the evening I followed my nose to Public School 808, a local bar a half hour walk from my hotel. Or maybe it was just an actual school that sold booze? In any case, they had decent cocktails, so at least they’re teaching relevant life skills to the children of Sherman Oaks.



The Nerd maintained his opposition to my incessant boozing. I took his opinion under advisement.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home