Monday, April 22, 2019

Kotor

Kotor is not, as I would have assumed, the chief villain from a cheap 80s Saturday morning cartoon.


Puny mortals! I am Kotor, and soon you will feel my wrath!

In reality, Kotor is a quaint little town squeezed onto some of Montenegro’s very limited supply of flat land, wedged in between the mountains and the sea. Besides its spectacular setting, Kotor is famous for its cats, who wander aloofly around the streets and squares as if exhausted by the stress of being beloved by an entire population.



Kotor is also the place where I realised that I have a strange quirk – wherever I go while traveling, I always feel compelled to seek the highest ground available. The mountains in Amalfi, the Duomo in Florence, the towers of St Mark’s in Venice and the church in Koper, the Marjan hill in Split, and now Montenegro. What’s with that?

To be fair, Montenegro is 90% mountain, so not meandering onto higher ground actually requires careful planning. After a quick reconnoiter around the town, I headed up the steps that rise up the mountainside to the ruins of an ancient fort. It was a warm, sunny late spring day and I’d forgotten to bring any water, so I reached the fort exhausted and woozy. But not so exhausted and woozy that I couldn’t enjoy the spectacular views.







As ever, Benny tried to frolic in nature but got himself into trouble.



But he overcame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home