Friday, April 19, 2019

Ciao

For my last day in Venice, I slept in, then had to scramble to clean up and clear out of my AirBnb by the 10am deadline. I actually left it by 10.15am, just as the owner arrived to arrange it for the next tenant. She didn’t seem too put out, but I got the impression that she didn’t like to meet her AirBnb guests – if they invisibly moved in and out of her life, leaving only some rumpled sheets, a bin full of empty prosecco bottles and a large pile of cash to show that they were there, that was quite alright with her.

I then dragged my luggage to the Venice cruise ship terminal to commence the next leg of my holiday: a 9 day cruise around the Adriatic Sea. I arrived at the terminal footsore and sweaty and wondering why I’d bought so many beautiful but heavy Italian shoes in Florence.

Benny just drove. The smug little bastard.







At the cruise ship terminal I was shunted by various cruise line employees through security checkpoints, up ramps, through a lounge that looked like it was decorated by the Golden Girls, and finally into the sort of tiny, tiny cabin you get when you’re a skinflint like me.

Fortunately the tiny, tiny cabin has little cupboards tucked away in every conceivable place, so there’s enough room to stash my clothes, luggage, toiletries, souvenirs, Benny, Benny’s Fiat 500, and his spare head.

Once I was settled in I went up to Deck 11 for a cocktail while watching the ship cast off. I ordered the special house cocktail of the day – an Electric Iced Tea. It came out the vivid green of radiator fluid, and unlike the deceptively mild taste of a traditional Long Island Iced Tea, this announced its high alcohol content like a roundhouse kick to the head.

The time required to nurse this drink, and judiciously water it down with extra ice, gave me an opportunity to observe the collective character of my fellow passengers. Unfortunately they turned out to be no better than the passengers on my previous cruises. If you ever meet a bigger collection of noisy, entitled Eurobogans with the fashion sense of a reality TV contestant and the class and good manners of a different reality TV contestant, then I pity you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home