Sunday, July 06, 2008

Dirt

If you’ve been wondering why I’ve been silent for the last twelve days, the reason can be traced back to my previous post. I’ve spent the last week blitzing my garden, with such unrelenting gusto that I was too exhausted at the end of each day to do more than flop into my Eames chair and moan quietly.


Each day was more or less the same. I got up, went to a local café for breakfast and a browse through the newspaper, ran a few errands and then, around late morning or early afternoon, I charged into the garden.


Over six days I cut down four trees, pegged out the new garden layout, dug up most of the plants, uncovered the reticulation lines, repaved the edge of the main path to the front door, cut the redundant lines off the reticulation, installed some new sprinklers, planted the new bed under the living room windows, pulled up two hundred paving bricks from the old path and stacked them at the top of the yard, moved my apple and pear trees to their new locations, created a series of retaining walls out of just over a ton of limestone, and bought and planted some lilly pilly trees that will form my new aerial hedge.




I don't pay for delivery unless I have to. As a bonus, the Golf is now carbon neutral.


Before and After photos will be posted in due course. Right now we're still in During, which I don't think anyone wants to see. It's all gone very well, except for a couple of small snags which I will go into later.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Before and after photos would be most appreciated. I am very impressed by how much it seems you have achieved - are you glad that it is how you used your holiday rather than lounging around somewhere achieving nothing much?

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the look of it, I'd say the Golf is now carbon negative. Are you selling credits?

12:05 PM  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

I am perversely pleased that I achieved something rather than loafing, Emma. Ugh, I must be getting middle-aged.

Ultrabert, I think I'll need all of my carbon credits to offset my scooter, which pours out more oily blue smoke than a fleet of elderly Trabants.

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home