Friday, August 10, 2007

Platforms

I did an IKEA run last night and picked up four 'Babord' wooden shoe racks for $8.95 each. Stacked on top of each other, they make rather nice bedside tables.


bedroom

Bed linen by Sheridan. Painting by Blandwagon. Dirty marks on the carpet by appalling slovenliness.


bedside table left

It's 9.35: I could be watching "Difference of Opinion" but instead I'm photographing shoe racks.


bedside table right

The framed butterflies and beetles are from New Guinea (via Melbourne). Sadly, they are probably not the only bugs in my bedroom.


Next comes the hard part - staining them to match the room's woodwork, and then a protective coat of furniture oil.

4 Comments:

Blogger MC Etcher said...

Yay! IKEA! It's truly a brand I believe in. I hope they hire me.

The end tables look good, and will look perfect once they're stained. I'd worry about dropping my keys, pills, or other small objects through the lattice, and forever me on my knees feeling around under them.

2:11 AM  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

MC, there's a glass tray under the yellow butterfly picture. That's where I drop my keys, phone, iPod Shuffle, cuff links, interesting pebbles, etc

9:56 AM  
Blogger Laziest Girl said...

They look great but can you please post a picture in 2 months? I refuse to believe that anyones bedside tables can remain so lovely and carefully arranged in the longer term.

My bedside table is a sad jumble of books, bookmarks, lip balm, tea cups, pistachio shells, camera cords, mobile phone charger, hand cream, antique cigarette box, miscellaneous buttons, baby socks, earrings, some little doodad that I don't want to lose, baby dummies and more books. Frankly it's a miracle that there is room for a lamp (from Ikea of course)!

8:57 AM  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

Part of the reason I opted for this design was that I could put big items like books and notepads on the lower shelves, leaving the top clear for the essentials (alarm clock, lamp, dead bugs in a frame, etc). Pens and scraps of paper go in the white pot, while the small odds and ends go in the tray. Easy.

Of course, the fact that I don't have a baby probably simplifies things a lot.

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home