Friday, February 02, 2007

Apostacy

Recently, over drinks and antipasto, I had the following conversation with a church friend whom I hadn't seen for a few weeks.


Me: So, do you have any news?

MC: (guardedly) What do you mean?

Me: You know, have you been up to anything fun, gone anywhere cool, killed a man in cold blood. You know, whatever.

MC: (relaxes) Oh, yeah, sorry. It's just that a lot of people are asking that question in relation to CT. You know, engagement-wise.

Me: Oh please. You've only been going out with her for two months!

MC: Yeah, but even so. You know what people are like.

Me: Sheesh, I really hate the fact that you can't even talk to a single woman in a church for five minutes without certain histrionic gushers hearing wedding bells. What the hell is wrong with them? They should at least give the two of you a chance to get to know one another before they start buying confetti!

MC: Ain't that the truth.


And so the conversation moved on to other topics. Needless to say, five days later, I had a phone call from a certain histrionic gusher.


CHG: Guess what! MC and CT are engaged!

Me: Sweet merciful crap! Really?

CHG: Yes!

Me: Well, isn't that... delightful.


Obviously the pressure became too much for him. Sometimes I wish I was an atheist.

4 Comments:

Blogger John A said...

It's very easy to do... Remind me to send you a blank pamphlet.

12:16 AM  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

Well yeah, I'd expect the pamphlet to be blank.

1:05 PM  
Blogger an9ie said...

TWO MONTHS?!? It takes me longer than that to trust a new dentist, let alone a partner! Gleesh.

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you should talk to MC and see if the pressure became too much before making remarks like that.

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home