Thursday, November 02, 2006

Seconds

An acquaintance was decluttering his house recently, and part of his program required him to get rid of any CD to which he hadn't listened in the last two years. He offered me a chance to go through the stack before he ditched them, and I chose five that sparked my interest.


Apparently my interest has questionable taste.


Saint Etienne - Too Young To Die
I've never been trapped in a lame gay nightclub on a dead night in the early 1990s. But if I ever was, I imagine that it would sound like this.


ABBA - A Tribute Album
Did you know that Bananarama had done a cover of 'Waterloo'? I didn't. You'd think that the collision of two such icons of camp would result in a glorious explosion of kitsch-o-rama. But sadly, it just sounds meh.

On the other hand, the Ash version of 'Does Your Mother Know That You're Out' is kinda cool. And the acapella version of 'Dancing Queen', of all things, is surpringly non-toxic.


Enya - Paint the Sky With Stars
I can see why so many people hate Enya and her overproduced ethereality, but I like it. Sometimes you just feel like being gently submerged in an ocean of pretty sounds and let them wash and swell around you.

Unfortunately since this is a Best Of album it's mostly her bigger, stupider "hits", and not her smaller, more subtly evocative pieces.


Sixpence None The Richer - Sixpence None The Richer
If the world needs anything right now, it's more songs for privileged young north-eastern Americans in immaculately ironed Abercrombie & Fitch shirts. Hence this album.

Honestly, it's like listening to the Zach Braff Fan Club Band.


The Cat Empire - The Cat Empire
This is an irreverent collision between latin sensuality and punky ska chaos. There's a brass section, accordions, flutes, a DJ scratchin' things up, and whole bunch of other instruments and voices running around and banging into each other.

I like it well enough, but I think this sort of music is supposed to make you happy, and it has the reverse effect on me. It simply suggests that there are a lot of crazy people out there who are larking around having more fun than me. Who needs to know that?


Thank goodness my most recent impulse purchases at JB Hi-Fi (an album of Bebel Gilberto remixes and Rhubarb's 'Start Again') were both winners. Otherwise I'd be worried about myself.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your 'taste' of music deserves a place in the '10 more things You'll hate about me' list

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm unsure how to send a response to your Enya commentary. Let me just say that for all people say about her, please be aware that through layering she sings ALL the vocals, plays ALL the instruments, and writes ALL the music. She is the most unassuming artist I know and really creates for herself not us. In 40 years her music will likely be played to calm the souls of that era, whereas, the vast majority of today's artists will find their music collecting dust in flea markets.
John

8:56 AM  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

Bart = Ha!

In other news, I'm a little freaked out by the fact that there exists such a thing as a militant Enya fan.

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home