Thursday, March 02, 2006

Disturbed

I'm feeling tired and rundown today. I didn't get to sleep until after 1.30 this morning, because there's a cricket living inside the frame of my bedroom window, and apparently last night was karaoke night. I all but spraypainted the window with bug poison, but it seems he's got a tiny little set of scuba gear in there and he didn't miss a beat.


I tried setting a radio to a dead frequency to drown him out with white noise, but that didn't work. It turns out that cricket chirping cuts through white noise like a confused pensioner in a 1973 Ford Galaxie cuts through a kindergarten playground. And stupid dead people kept butting in trying to communicate with the physical realm.


So I ended up wadding kitchen paper into little balls and jamming them in my ears, which was uncomfortable but otherwise worked a treat. During the night I vaguely remember tearing them out and hearing about a second of a capella cricket, but I was already tumbling back into sleep and I was gone before I could muster up my previous sense of impotent fury.


The next thing I knew it was 7.15am, and my clockradio alarm, turned up nice and loud to compensate for my ear plugs, gave me Harry Belafonte bellowing about limbo dancing. So all in all, not the best night's sleep.

1 Comments:

Blogger LindyK said...

Those dead people are so inconsiderate, depriving you of your sleep... and it's not even like you can threaten them or take any kind of revenge. Bastards.

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home