Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Radio

I've gone off listening to Heritage FM in the mornings. It was okay when they just had the Cavalcade of Completely Random Songs, played back to back without interruption except for the occasional ad. But now they've found themselves a breakfast DJ. He is, in and of himself, completely inoffensive, but he seems to have brought with him the absolute worst music of all time, which defiles my home like a dog turd tracked onto my carpet on the bottom of a shoe.


Yesterday morning was the final straw. I flicked the radio on and was horrified to hear the opening strains of Dr Hook's 'Sylvia's Mother'. Sylvia's freakin' Mother! I'm bewildered. With the vast array of music available in the Heritage library, why would anyone think we'd want to hear a bloody awful 70s dirge like 'Sylvia's Mother'?


When it comes to 70s music, I for one want either the kitschy, roller-disco froth of people like the Bee Gees and Donna Summer, or the genuinely meaningful ballads of people like the Rolling Stones or Stevie Wonder. I do NOT want the artless, earnest whining of 'Sylvia's Mother', and that goes double for 'Rhinestone Cowboy', 'Billy Don't Be a Hero', or anything by the soddin' Doobie Brothers!!!


I'll just pause for a moment for a cup of tea and a little lie-down.


Okay, I'm back. Fortunately on the weekend I stumbled across Base FM (104.9), which has only been on the air for about a month. It seems to be set up for indie kids half my age, but I liked the material they were playing. Then on the way to work yesterday they played Ash's 'Kung Fu', and I realised that I'd found a new love. Ash's 'Kung Fu' is my eternal mark of quality. Play that, and I will be your friend for life.


Unless you later play the soddin' Doobie Brothers. Then all bets are off.

1 Comments:

Blogger G Dawney said...

Oh my God! And the operator says forty cents more for the next. three. minutes...

What a song! Are any of these stations on the Internet? Cause I am not going to be able to pick them up on my car radio in the U.S. am I?

Glad you found a radio station you like.

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home