Thursday, April 14, 2022

Happy

I’m enjoying Brunswick. It’s cool enough for an op shopping, gin swilling, truffle infused hipster like me without being too cool. You know, like, exhaustingly cool.


For example:


Brunswick cool – hey look, I found a vintage Petula Clark record from 1976 released on K-Tel in the Brotherhood of St Lawrence Op Shop. Awesome!


Fitzroy cool – Ugh, that’s so basic. Don’t you know Petula Clark stole her sound from a Japanese singer named Pei Turamoto who released one album of experimental Nippo-pop in 1959 that only sold 24 copies? I own the only copy in the southern hemisphere.


I don’t want to be Fitzroy cool. I don’t care if my vintage jacket is by Swiss Model rather than the obscure young designer who killed herself after Mary Quant stole all of her ideas. I like being able to buy my gin from Dan Murphy’s rather than having to know the small batch distiller personally. I prefer being able to buy a Petula Clark record from 1976 for $2 at an op shop rather than having to get my hands on the album of her Japanese contemporary by winning it in a high-stakes poker game in an underground opium den in Macau.

 

Fortunately there's plenty of my kind of cool to go around. Here are today's purchases, for a total of around $12:

 


And then there's the rejects:

 

 

'There's a party on with Rolf Harris' is now more of a warning than an enticement. And, from the well-worn trope of horrifying Christian album art...

 


To be fair, if I had hair like that I'd be a happy Christian too.

 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home