Friday, November 28, 2008

Scraping

Just in time for Christmas comes this bewilderingly inappropriate news from Planned Parenthood.


"Looking for an unusual, yet practical gift this holiday season? Planned Parenthood of Indiana (PPIN) is now offering gift certificates for services or the recipient's choice of birth control method."


Yes, celebrate the birth of the world’s most iconic baby by preventing the birth of your own. Genius!


“Why not buy a loved one a gift this holiday season that they really need and one that will contribute to their health throughout the year?" asked PPIN President and CEO Betty Cockrum. “The gift certificates are also a wonderful idea for that person in your life who puts everyone else first…”


With one notable exception.


Then help your Muslim friends celebrate Ramadan with a gift membership to the Bacon of the Month club!


And finally, why not sit down with a nice glass of wine and your best Cogitating Hat, and contemplate why the title banner for a women’s health/birth control/abortion organisation features representatives of the one group least likely to need their services - gay men.





Seriously, help me out here. I've drunk half a bottle of merlot and burnt out my favourite Thinking Fez already.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm curious to know why they think pregnancy causes someone to be unhealthy. However, if it were the gay men getting pregnant, I could understand the health issue aspect...

1:14 PM  
Blogger TimT said...

Prior to the twentieth century, pregnancy could be very hazardous to one's health indeed. Mothers often died in labour. And it's still a pretty serious health issue, it causes pretty huge changes to a woman's body over the course of nine months, of necessity - you have to cope with a growing child in your womb.

I must admit my first and only thought when I saw this post was: You have a thinking fez?

Where can I get one?

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do realise this but for me and many other women pregnancy offers a cure or partial lapse in many diseases, so in my mind pregnancy would be like taking the ulimate medication, at least 6 months free from pain until things start swlling and back starts hurting (I could deal with the vomiting) - that would be a fantastic first, I just don't think I could deal with the offspring. At the end of the day pregnancy is quite natural.

8:27 AM  
Blogger TimT said...

Interesting to hear, Fish!

I'm reminded of the endless arguments when the GST was introduced here over whether there would be a tax on tampons or not. Some women's affair commentators in the MSM argued that there shouldn't be a tax on tampons because it was a 'medicinal product' - not necessarily out of any conviction either way (is menstruation a case of ill health or just natural?) but just out of pragmatism. Obviously tampons would be cheaper if not taxed!

I do think Blanders makes some good points here. The irony is obvious, whether one is pro-choice, pro-life, or simply pro-apathy.

Me, all I care about is the thinking fez. Where can I get mine? WANT!

8:47 AM  
Blogger an9ie said...

Hmmm, maybe the gay men ARE the birth control method? I know that our friend K would rather fry his testicles in hot lava than frolic with a female.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

A good Thinking Fez is hard to come by, TimT. That's why I'm upset that mine is now just a blacked husk. Even eBay has let me down.

12:58 PM  
Blogger 2BarRiff said...

"I've drunk half a bottle of merlot..."

Dude, that's your problem right there. Thinking should only occur when the brain is lubricated by gin.

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home