Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Taxing

Well, that's that done. I've finally finished my tax return and sent it off to the Australian Taxation Office.


Yes, I know it's ten months late. Shut up.


I can't help it. The Blandwagial lifestyle and the Financially Astute lifestyle exist on separate planes. Some people hold innumerable investments and tax offsets and spend hours coming up with imaginative deductions. I on the other hand work for one employer, I don't have a spouse or dependent children, I have no investments, and I don't need to buy anything to do my work. Plus, of course, I don't care. So tax time is not an opportunity to claw back from the government all the child rebates and uniform allowances and computer depreciation I can muster, but a boring acknowledgement of my complete absense of financial acumen.


Oh, and my wages are set up so that I pay too much tax during the year, so come tax time I can rest assured that they owe me money, not the other way around. I figure it's harder for them to get upset with me if they're the ones who have to cough up the moolah.


That may give you an indication of how distant my mindset is from matters financial - I've been able to apply for a great big wad of cash for ten months now, and the only reason I've finally done it is because I've realised that this year's tax return is coming up in only 7 weeks. I'd rather delay getting my money for ten months than have to deal with those horrible, complicated, maths-saturated forms.

4 Comments:

Blogger FletcherDodge said...

If only there were someone you could pay to do it for you.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

My tax affairs are so simple it'd be embarassing to have to ask someone else to do them - the equivalent of walking up to a stranger and asked them to tie your shoelace.

Besides, if I had an accountant he'd just nag me for receipts and such. Which would require me having to think about it even more!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Ross said...

Wow, you earn enough to pay tax? Lucky.

By the way, you've been tagged if you like. It came via Italy, apparently, so it has provenance. The abbreviated version of ten questions is at my place, or if you prefer, the longer twenty five is here.

Cheers muchly.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

Thanks for the tag, Ross. I've filled it in here.

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home