Monday, June 11, 2007

Lightbulb

I spent a good portion of my weekend doing some Ikea hacking. For those of you out of the zeitgeistial loop, an Ikea hack is a project that takes products from Ikea and modifies them into a new configuration and/or redesigns them for a new purpose.


In my particular case, I wanted some floor-to-ceiling lamps to frame my living room window, replacing the curtains that came with the house when I bought it. I don't like curtains of any kind, and I don't need them since the window has an exterior roller shutter, so I figured I could get rid of them.


However none of the lamps at Ikea were tall enough. So I did some lateral thinking, bought four Dudero lamps, and merged the components into two.


new lamps 2


The best thing about these Dudero lamps is that they only cost $19.95 each, so with a few extra odds and ends the entire project cost less than $90.


And yes, I do realise that the armchair needs recovering. If that problem could be solved with a weekend and $90, I'd be a happier man.

8 Comments:

Blogger MC Etcher said...

Very cool! Can the upper portion light up, or just the bottom?

9:35 PM  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

Nope, just the bottom. I didn't trust my wiring skills to safely merge the two electrical cables together.

That said, I used reflector blubs rather than normal bulbs, so the light tends to shine up rather than out, and thus there's a fair glow in the upper part anyway.

9:45 AM  
Blogger an9ie said...

I hadn't even noticed the armchair! I know the Ikeahacker website well, although with the time some people spend hacking, and the obvious talent they have, you wonder why they don't end up building something from scratch with good quality materials.

I would, if I knew how to use a mitre saw without decapitating myself!

Laps look very cool, I can't think what they remind me of, something I saw once in a movie, but they are also reminiscent of very tall, curvy women with lights inside them. Was that the effect you were going for?

9:52 AM  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

You read my mind, An9ie. Or possibly you just found a copy of my script for 'Attack of the 8 Foot Tall Glowing Robot Bikini Girls'.

1:07 PM  
Blogger an9ie said...

So are you going to dob yourself in to Ikea hacker for your 15 seconds of fame or shall I? :p

10:09 AM  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

Thanks, an9ie, but for a very complicated set of reasons I don't want my Ikea hack on Ikea hacker. One day I may explain why, but don't hold your breath.

11:45 AM  
Blogger William Keckler said...

This is the most beautiful presentation of the Dudero I have seen online...with the strange grid behind it's just so 21st century...Italian designers would fall at your feet....just won a Dudero on ebay for 6 bucks so my IKEA fetish is momentarily gratified...great blog going here!

2:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really awesome. I'm impressed. I love these lamps but I always think they are too short.

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home