Monday, May 29, 2006

Discipline

Over the weekend I went to the viewing for an art auction. One painting immediately caught my attention, and not just because it was three metres long and one high.


Soon by John Firth-Smith


It may not look like much in this photo, but it had a wonderful presence and sense of drama. There's earthiness and harmony, the crude and the sublime. I wanted to wrap myself up in it, which, given its size, was entirely possible.


Of course, when I checked the catalogue, I found that the sale estimate was $40,000. There's the story of my life in a nutshell.


The only painting I liked in my price range was a small ink and gouache in a Sally Morganesque style. It had a delightful, child-like, paradoxical sense of mystery and familiarity in its landscape, and was populated by goofy smiling kangaroos.


Warren River by Leonie Dobrowolski


However, while I like the picture, I don't love it. I've decided that I've got to stop buying things I merely like, and instead hoard my cash and splurge on just one thing I love. So no goofy kangaroos for me.


Unfortunately the paintings I love tend to run well into the quintuple figures. I need to take a leaf out of this person's book and start sleazing onto some artists.

2 Comments:

Blogger T said...

I have to say I am not a huge fan of Firth-Smith's work.

So what's the one thing you love?

1:43 PM  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

Once while lost in the back rooms of a Melbourne art gallery, looking for the toilet, I saw a drawing that entranced me. But that was long ago and far away.

The one thing I love (2006 edition) I will only know when I see it. I haven't seen it yet.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home