Thursday, December 15, 2005

Nag

Updating your computer is almost complete. You must restart your computer for the updates to take effect. Do you want to restart your computer now?

I'm in the middle of some things. I'll restart later.

Are you sure? The updates can't take effect until you restart.

I'm sure I can live without updates for a couple of hours. I'll pass.

They're really good updates.

Do any of them install Half Life II on my computer, or provide GPS coordinates for Angelina Jolie, or anything else I want?

Well no, but they do provide minute increases in security and fix bugs in features you've probably never used.

Thanks, but they can wait.

But...

I'll restart later.

Okay then.

Now, where was I? That's right, letters to clinical academics regarding course notes for second semester...

What about now?

What?

What about now? Do you want to restart now?

I already told you no!

But that was five minutes ago. I thought you'd probably have changed your mind by now.

Why? Why would I have changed my mind?

Well... they're updates. Who doesn't love updates?

I don't love updates!

That's just because you haven't experienced these ones. They're great!

Do they change the interface on the programs I use? Do they make my computer run noticeably faster? Will I actually notice any difference at all once the updates have been installed?

Um, no, not unless you regularly grub about in the root directories of your operating system.

Which I don't.

Well maybe if you took more of an interest in what was going on in your computer...

Look, I will restart when I'm ready and not before! I will not be ordered about by a computer program! Quit asking me if I want to restart to install your damn updates and leave me alone!

Fine, fine. All you had to do was ask. Sheesh.

Thank you. Maybe now I can get some work done. Now, letters to clinical academics regarding course notes. Open general letter template, type in today's date, change address details. "Dear Doctor..."

Updating your computer is almost complete. You must restart your computer for the updates to take effect. Do you want to restart your computer now?

4 Comments:

Blogger Laziest Girl said...

Why is your computer channelling the spirit of the talkie toaster?

7:58 AM  
Blogger LindyK said...

Technology, they call it...

9:23 AM  
Blogger Paulius said...

Yup, my computer did the same thing last night. It's the countdown timer that pisses me off. Halfway through a long blog post, and three quarters of the way through a large download.

I get up to make coffee, return to find that despite I said "No, I don't want to restart." twice, my computer had indeed restarted itself.

Microsoft..bunch of wankers.

(PS, just found out about your blog from MC Etcher...I'll be adding it to my favourites)

9:19 PM  
Blogger Kato said...

Ha ha! I've had similar conversations with my PC. I always end up giving in to its demands, though.

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home