Monday, September 19, 2011

Consolation

I've had this old cabinet sitting in the corner of my kitchen for a while. It's ugly and too small for the space, so after looking around the shops and being unable to find anything I liked, I decided to make a console table to replace it.





My inspiration was a pile of old church pew end posts that I acquired from a friend.





I teamed them with some composite pine planks from the hardware store.





Like all good frankenfurniture, the design evolved as it progressed. The fact that the old pew posts are slightly irregular made getting everything square and level a nightmare. The screws that secure the battens holding up the top shelf simply would not screw into their guide holes, as the wood shifted fractionally from drilling to screwing. Nothing I did would persuade them, leaving me with blistered hands and a lot of stripped screwheads. But eventually it came together, and it'll be fine so long as no one, you know, touches it.





Ironically I deliberately made it exactly the right size to accomodate the giant vintage map of Italy that I found on the side of the road... then decided to put the map in the dining room instead. But it looks fine with a different piece of art.


2 Comments:

Blogger Bart said...

The screws would not get into the guide holes, the wood shifted...

IT IS ALIVE!!! ALIVE!!!

But what do you expect if you use gothic elements in your furniture? Probably came from a graveyard too.

2:41 AM  
Blogger Blandwagon said...

Gaaah, yes, you're right! Of COURSE the thing is haunted. It all makes sense now!

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home